Estelle is a consulting web developer, trainer, author and speaker. She speaks and leads workshops on web development all over the world. Her blog posts have received more than 3M views. Her books, including HTML5 and CSS3 for the Real World and Mobile HTML5 have been translated into over 8 languages. She reads the specs and tests all the browsers so you don’t have to.
Estelle Weyl started her professional life in architecture and then managed teen health programs. In 2000, she took the natural step of becoming a web standardista. She has consulted for Kodakgallery, SurveyMonkey, Yahoo!, Apple, and many others.
YOW! 2014 Sydney
TALK – VIEW SLIDES
WHAT WILL I LEARN
- Specificity. Which selectors would win in a fight to apply their styles?
- New elements! Some have fancy new UI, some have new interesting attributes, some increase semantics and accessibility, but it’s often not entirely intuitive.
- Flexbox layout in CSS (and all your non-flexbox layout queries answered).
- Calculations and conditions in CSS: when and how.
- Reducing CSS authoring complexity with the help of pre-processors.
- Performance considerations: images, latency, memory, battery and responsiveness in a mobile world.
- Accessibility, as it relates to everything we cover in this workshop.